ss_blog_claim=9039a71fb9b355c1e9a0f35d30290856
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.

Monday, May 12, 2008

A day which I thought won't happen

Being hospitalized..Have you ever thought of it??Well,of course anyone of you won't want it to happen.I wouldn't want it to happen to myself either.It is what you call it sway or unlucky.I've always thought that being young,you are still fit and no sickness will ever get to you.In the end,I was wrong.

It was like any other usual day at work where in the morning I have to check the equipments at the appliances I was attached to.After doing so,I went up to my locker room to look for my colleagues.After ascending the stairs to the second floor, I had an uneasy feeling.It was like someone poking with something sharp on my chest.I pretend it was nothing and sat down with my colleagues and had a little chat.

The more I ignored the pain,the more sweaty I am.I complained to my colleagues that I have difficulty in breathing and they thought I was joking.With the seriousness on my face,they asked me to go down and check with the paramedic.I was like gasping for air as though something was stuck in my lungs.I removed my uniform,only my leggings and sleeveless shirt was intact.

Sitting down on the bench at the ambulance,the paramedic checked my status by connecting the ECG(it's an equipment to check your heart rate and stuff) on my chest area.He was shocked to see my heart beat keep deteriorating.That was when he decided to send me to National University Hospital pronto.

In my mind,I thought something bad is going to happen to me.Maybe worse.I was given the oxygen mask,a drip and some pills(I think its painkiller).On the ambulance,the only thing that is fresh on my mind was the siren.Upon reaching, I was pushed to the A&E ward. A group of nurses asked me lots of questions..whether u have medical history,drug allergy and so on and on..(cause I can't remember)..I was put on a drip,given injection and ouch it really does hurt.

A couple of x-rays and the doctor found out what actually was the problem.There was a lump of air which leaked out from walls of my lungs and it got stuck which gave me the problems to breathe.Meaning that the walls of my lungs burst open.Remember that I was wearing my leggings and boots?The nurses wanted to cut it mind you!I was like hey it is so thick..I rather take it out myself..Ignoring the pain ,I easily took it off.

A female doctor came up to me and explained that he had to do a minor op on me and insert a tube on my left lung.Oh gosh!An op!??I've never had this before mind you.The doctor injected anesthetic on the left side of my chest(below my armpit) and I felt numb.Looking away from where she was gonna do the op,she pierced through the side of my chest without me actually feel anything.*gulp*.The next step,she inserted a tube all the way to the centre of my lungs.It was horrible.I just can't imagine the pain.

Minutes passed,I didn't realize that it was already over.A tube inserted through my lungs was connected to a plastic-shaped like box.I could see my blood inside it.The nurse told me that the op was already done and I have to be put under observation.Then,she fed me painkillers.

I was told by one of the nurses that my officer was waiting for me at the waiting room to see how was my condition.Wow..didn't expect him at the first place..was expecting my mum and my relatives to visit me.Only when I was transferred to EDTU ward,my officer showed up and saw my condition.Was surprised when he bought for me Men's Health fitness magazine and fruits.I was told by him to have a good rest and hope to see me recover and fight fire soon.

My mum and relatives came and saw her face how worried she was for me..I knew she was crying but I consoled her that everything is fine.Upon confirmation by the doctor,I had this term called pneumothorax.Usually happens to people when an object pierced or puncture their lungs but mine was exceptional and the doctors don't know exactly the cause for my case.

I was told to be warded for one day until no air is seen in my lungs via x-ray.You can't do anything much with the tube on my chest so I work here is to sleep.It is kinda boring actually with nothing to do and see patients come in and go.

Still,there is no sign of recovery says the doctor.I was to shift wards to the upper floors and maybe wait for another day and see how it goes.Damn..I'm going to die of boredom.And so I shifted to ward 52 and I met new people,nurses and patients.Quite a few young nurse I might say..I am pretty observant you know.

A familiar voice echoed my drums and was surprised to see my fellow colleagues.They always made me laugh(although I couldn't laugh or cough properly) and it was on purpose.At least I am very happy to see them come and visit me.We chatted through the night even though visiting hours were over.

The glare from the morning sun woke me up.A group of doctors approached me.From the x-rays,there was still no sign of recovery.The doctors suggested that they do an operation on me via the operating theatre.They need to seal up the wall of my lungs using staples and the chances of success was 99.9%.I was dumbfounded when they told me this.I had no choice but to accept the agreement for the better of me.

It was on a Friday afternoon.My Encik(a warrant officer) came and visited me.He went through the same as me back during his younger days.I was relieved as it wasn't me alone who got this but there is also other people who suffers the same as me.After a few chit-chat,the nurses told me to prepare for the operation.It was like doomsday.I was very nervous of the operation and my mind went through a lot of negative thinking.

So cold..my whole body shivering.I was amazed on how the operating theatre looked like.It was like one of the scenes from a movie.So full of gadgets,monitors,equipments and sharp objects!Basically,I was half naked.Wearing a shower cap and a cloth covering my body.One of the nurse told me that I would be put to sleep.Covering my mouth and nose with a mask,she told me to inhale and exhale and pooof!..I was in a deep slumber.

Slowly,I opened my eyes..felt a little pain but it gets worse every minute.I woke up and realized it was over.Given painkillers..I think it was morphine to ease my pain on my left chest.I found out they inserted another tube which means there are two tubes connected to my lungs.I was shaking my legs the whole time to erase the pain while they transported me back to my ward.My parents were eagerly waiting to see how was my condition.

Back at my ward,loads of peepz were waiting to see me..my officer,my relatives and parents.Thanks guys for sacrificing your time to see me.I was very,very,very hungry at that point of time.You know that hospital food sucks.Luckily,my parents bought me home-cooked food.I was too weak to feed myself so my dad fed me.I was so touched.I felt I was like a child at that point of time.

It was already day five ever since I was admitted.The doctor told me I need a couple of days to see how my lungs are since the op.When everything is fine,he will detach the two tubes from my chest.Another pain to endure..haizzzz..As every hour goes by,I observed how nurses and doctors do their job daily.Nurses have to give patients medicines,bath them,help them in anyways that the patients need.The doctors have to view reports and check the status of their patients.I do admire their profession.Without them,do you actually think that patients like me will be taken care off that well??Think about it..

Another pain in the ass..the two tubes.The doctor is finally going to detach it.Have you ever experienced a noodle going through your nostrils?If you have,the pain is much similar only except its much more painful.The doctor pulled the tube which was like 13cm long with ease.I was cursing and swearing actually.The doctor finished off by putting a gauze and a big plaster.Hey..I am free already..no tubes.I can walk already..Yippee!

Keeping in mind that I never did much walking as I am stuck to the bed for 7 days now.A physiotherapist helped to exercise my breathing and had a little walk around the hospital.

In my mind right now is actually to go back home.I am homesick.The doctor told me that I will be OK for now but no vigorous activities and no travelling by plane for six months.He allowed me to be discharged and I was given MC for one month!

I can't forget the smile I had when I was preparing to pack my stuff to go back home.I said thanks personally to a few nurses which became my friend at that period of time.For one whole week I suffered and survived.Anything can happen to you..unexpected.Take care of your health.As for me..I hope I am not going to visit the hospital any sooner.


1 comment:

Queenie said...

HELLO MISTER....
KINDLY VISIT ME IN DUBAI IF YOU ARE THERE FOR A HOLIDAY. ehehehe.. I will get you walls ice cream. YEAH?!!!